Pages

Saturday, December 13, 2008

I See The Moon


Last night the moon was supposed to be the biggest full moon of the year. It would be the brightests and closest it has been to the earth in 15 years. Only 221,560 miles away it would be 14 percent bigger and 30 percent brighter than usual. It would also appear larger at moonrise than later that night.



This is somewhere in North or South Carolina

I kept running outside with my camera to get a picture of this fabulous sight to see. Finally about 6:30 I was able to get a couple of pictures without the trees and houses getting in the way. It was very bright but not near as big as I had imagined. My little camera is not meant to take magazine quality photos. Sadly this is the best I could do.


On December 1st another celestial event occurred. (I don't know what I would do without Yahoo telling these things are about to happen!) The Waxing Moon aligned with Jupiter and Venus is right below them. This event will not be visible again in North America for another 44 years. This is what it is supposed to look like below.
Coming home from my mom's house I could see it clearly, right at dusk. I grabbed my camera and ran out back to get a photo.


Somewhere in this pitiful picture is the Moon, Jupiter and Venus. I believe they are right above the squiggly lines. I may have captured a picture of some little alien flying in front of me or maybe it's Sagittarius in motion. I think I need some lessons in photography.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kathy,

    Just wanted to drop by and thank you for thinking of us upon hearing Mike's diagnosis of melanoma. We have a lot of faith in God that He will see Mike through this journey. Your thoughts and prayers mean a lot of us all.

    ReplyDelete