Pages

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Making Cookies with Jim, Kenny and Dolly

My family's favorite cookies are "Viennese Crescents". I got the recipe when I was in High School (many years ago) from a lady from Germany. She was the mother of my high school boyfriend who my Dad named "Mr. Touchdown". That's as far as we are going in that direction! I have made them for Christmas every year since. They are similar to a wedding cookie filled with ground pecans and double dusted in powder sugar. My husband calls them cocoons.





I love to listen to Christmas music so I put my two favorite CD's on and made a double batch of these goodies this morning. I love Jim Brickman and his "Christmas Romance" CD is wonderful. I have always wanted to play the piano and believe me I have the hands for it. Since I never learned how to play anything but chop sticks and heart and soul, I have to be content listening to someone else play. His music is a delight.





My other favorite Christmas CD if from a old TV special that Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton did back in the early 80's. The show was called "A Christmas To Remember". They had it on for a few years and then all of a sudden it disappeared. (Kind of like my pickles). They made a CD from the soundtrack so I was thrilled when that came out.







Notice the CD is not the same name as the show. The CD is called "Once Upon a Christmas". Maybe it got caught up in a copyright mess. The special was also a favorite of my mom's. She and I both look every year to see if it's going to be on TV, sadly it seems to be archived somewhere. I did a search this morning on it and came across a clip from You Tube that shows the song my mom and I really like from the show. "Christmas Without You". The film is a little fuzzy but if you like Kenny and Dolly you'll enjoy it. So grab a cookie and click on the link below if you have 5 minutes to spare.





Enjoy it mom!






Merry Christmas Everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to have a bite of one of your cookies! Are these the same cookies as those called"Snickerdoodles"? My mother use to make those many years ago every Christmas!

    Enjoy your Christmas Day tomorrow!
    Love to all of you!

    ReplyDelete