Sunday, June 14, 2009

The First Two Weeks In June

These last two weeks have been a blur. So to clarify it for myself I decided to break it down day by day. On the:

  1. Monday - Worked, went to mom's to continue purging and packing for the coming garage sale. Found her having chest pain, called 911, admitted her to the hospital, she had a heart attack late that night.

  2. Tuesday - At the hospital, mom on nitro drip for pain. She had stent surgery and found out the stent put in last February was 95% blocked. They replaced it and gave her lots of morphine to keep her still. (Mom likes to move). Forgot it was Rosie's (my orange tabby) birthday and she didn't get my annual "Happy Birthday" song. She turned 19!

  3. Wednesday - At the hospital, quiet day both of us dozing most of the day. I swear they pump sleepy gas into those rooms. Oh well it's a way to slow down and you can only read so many magazines.

  4. Thursday - Busy morning with Dr's visits. They performed an echocardiogram in her room and I got to watch. It's amazing to see your mother's heart pumping on the screen. Kind of like the reverse of a fetal sonogram. I have not told anyone this but I swear it looked like hands were cupping her heart as it beat. With the reports good, she was sent home. Now I had time to really get to work on her house.

  5. Friday - Purging, packing, grocery shopping, pricing items.

  6. Saturday - Back to my home, Jackson's graduation, celebration dinner, pricing, sleep!

  7. Sunday - Laundry, throwing out left over pizza boxes (my men don't cook). Checked on the new home and then to mom's to pick up heavy items for coming garage sale.

  8. Monday - Work, late meeting, pricing.

  9. Tuesday - Work, mom's, I'm stressing about where in the world the clean out valve is needed for the plumbing test after the foundation repair on her house. It's another $400 if one needs to be put in. Buyer's appraiser goes to mom's. That goes well. She makes her first outing since her heart event on her own to the grocery store and buys good stuff like cookies. I get there as she is unloading her car. Still can't find the clean out valve. Haul more stuff home and pricing.

  10. Wednesday - Early to mom's to meet foundation people. It's an interesting procedure. They drilled 45 feet into the ground for the piers and lifted the house and "voila" the cracks went back together. I gave the workers all the tools and garage stuff their wheel barrows could hold and the monster TV in the living room. They couldn't find the clean out either. The engineer comes to inspect the repair and gets another check. He gets a lot of money for using a fancy tape measure. The used furniture guy comes and only wants two pieces we are selling and not the really heavy dining table and chairs we want him to take. Load up more stuff and go home.

  11. Thursday - Wait for a break in the rain to go to the rental center for tables. Have to zig zag because of police barricades because of flash flooding and kids being rescued from the water. Come home and set up in the garage for the sale. Back to the rental center for two more tables. Continue set up. Meet plumbing company at mom's for the great "clean out" search. Very nice older man determined to find it. Ta da, after about an hour his keen eye and using his special clean out finder tool, he found it between the thick boxwood about a foot in the ground. I was impressed. The plumbing test was done, we passed with no leaks from the foundation repair and no charge. Whew! Home to haul our furniture we are selling into the living room for tomorrow.

  12. Friday - Up early for the sale of the century. We drag Jackson out of bed to help pull everything outside for the sale. The sale goes pretty well the first day. We got rid of the furniture and I do mean that, we practically gave it away. Selling lots of thick hardbacks for $1. Nobody wants them. Close up at 2 and head for a much needed cold shower. I did get an interested buyer for mom's table and chairs. We meet them at her house and watch them load it. A very nice family and I'm sure they thought we were really stupid for selling it as low as they offered, $75.00. We were just happy to see it go. That sucker is made out of the hardest wood I've ever seen. It weighs a ton!

  13. Saturday - Last day for the sale and hottest day of the year. The temp was about 95 and the humidity had to be close to 60%. The heat index was 105. Even with two fans running in the garage we were melting. I couldn't even give the books away. We made close to $200 that day and I closed up at 12 feeling like a heat stroke was near. What's left goes to charity. The "Last Garage Sale Ever" is over!

Our "new resting house" as I like to call it, is coming along. We now have shingles, windows, doors, and wiring.

We are getting close.


  1. Bless your heart Kathy! You need to plan on resting somewhere along the way!!

    Your new house looks great!

  2. I think I wrote that for therapy. I am really doing just fine. The heat here gets to me. It should be smooth sailing from now on. I've made a long "to do" list as it helps with my aging brain. Everything is falling into place.

    Hope you will come and visit after we move in. We will have a room ready for you all.

  3. I'm just curious: Just where exactly is your stress coming from?
    Love, Brother

  4. It's okay bro the reason you don't see where the stress is coming from is because you were made in "Occupied Japan" that makes you officially "Antique".
    Love, Princess