Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

What I Did Last Friday

My friend Heidi and I went to the town square in Rockwall last Friday to have breakfast, catch up and laugh a lot. We ate at a place in the square called "The Fatted Calf".

 

The food was tasty and all the ingredients fresh.  I went for the Huevos Rancheros.  I hear their pancakes are wonderful.


I loved this table in the center of the room.  I think it's a wine barrel cut in half.

We visited some really cute shops in the square.


This shop was called Enjoy.  It had cute kitchen items and sold packaged dips, soups and jars of everything!


They had samples out of course and guess who came home with pickled asparagus, passion fruit jalapeno jelly, dip and soup mix. 

We visited Bella's House.  A gift shop with oodles of everything.  I've posted the link to her website so you can get a better idea.


These signs are everywhere now a days. 

I fell in love with these Sid Dickens Memory Blocks.  I've never seen them before.  They are much larger than the picture makes them look.


My picture doesn't do them justice.  If you look at his website  here  you can get a better idea of how they are made and the endless possibilities of arrangement.  Be sure and read the "about" section to see how they are made.  I've already got ideas forming in my head of the blocks I would like to buy and where to put them.  I just need to win the lottery to buy them.

Have you heard of geocaching?  Heidi who loves all things travel (she was a stewardess for Delta Airlines for a zillion years) is into this game.  It's kind of a scavenger hunt played all over the world.

Here is my pitiful version of how it's played.

Someone (this I totally don't get) hides a cache (little piece of paper).

You go somewhere and check in on the geochaching site using your smartphone.

You tell the site where you are.

Then a satellite beams you a map with flags pointing to spots where the caches are hidden and clues to help find it.

You head for the location using your phone to guide you.

When you get there you start looking for it.  It could be anywhere.  In a tree, submerged in water or even in a bolt on a gutter spout. 

When you locate it you have your friend take your picture.  (I don't think this part is required:)


I'm not going to give away where she found it.  It was in a tin box and had a magnet in it.  That's all I''m telling.



Then you open up the tin box to get your cache.  Sometimes people leave something after they get there cache out.  In this case rubber teeth.  Eeew!


Then you sign a little piece of paper with your game name and date you found it.


Then you login into geocache to say you "Found It".

It was a lot of fun.  I've heard that families do this together too.  Maybe my husband can take this up when he retires next year.  I'm He's looking for something to keep him busy.

If any of you do this leave me a comment.  I'd love to know.

2 comments:

  1. We do some geocaching with the kids. Don't have a fancy GPS thing yet, just use our phones- can't think of the name of the app but will send it to you when I find it. The kids LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite of all your blogs!!

    ReplyDelete