Pages

Monday, May 30, 2011

A Little History about Little Star

Years ago my mother gave me this little star.  All I knew was that it was given to my Great Grandparents when their son, Lewis Blodgett was killed during World War I.


This weekend I did some research to see if I could find more information about him.  I knew that he was the first born of 9, my grandmother's oldest brother.  He enlisted in the United States Marines in 1914.  He wasn't married.

I found this article which describes how his parents were notified by telegram that he had died in battle on October 4th 1918.  It states that he had written to his parents eight days before his death that he expected to be home in December.



I'm not sure what this form was used for but it gave a little more information.  He was a skilled mechanic.



This is a "Muster Roll".  The text is illegible so I will write what it says next to his name.



"4 Killed in action in line of duty and not the result of soldier's own misconduct.  Cause of death GSW (Gun Shot Wound).  Site of burial and grave number unknown.  Buried in the vicinity of St. Etienne France.  Would have been awarded Character Excellent had he been discharged."

I found a picture of a gravestone.  It's in a cemetery in Folsom, California. 




Next to the picture is this information.

Death: Oct. 4, 1918, France
Private Blodgett - United States Marine Corp. 6th Regiment, Division 2 - was killed in action in France.
Lewis J. Blodgett - American Legion Post 362 in Folsom, California is named in honor of Private Blodgett.

Now I know a little more about the soldier behind the star.  Today is a good day to honor him and all the other heroes who have fought and died for our country. 

2 comments:

  1. Kathy, what a great post! I love searching family history! Where did you get the picture of the gravestone in California?

    So interesting...i want to make sure my kids read this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tribute to your family member. We must never forget.

    ReplyDelete